On Monday I went to the doctor for my annual checkup. The doctor thought she felt something and wanted me to come back the next day for a sonogram. Tuesday morning I went in for the sonogram and found out that I do have for sure 2 fairly large fibroid tumors. The sonogram tech said they were pretty large and that the doctor would be calling me to discuss my options. Then Wednesday morning the doctor called me and said that my only option is to have surgery to remove them. Because of how large they are and where they are located, that is my only option. She said that the biggest one is 11 x 10 cm, which is 4.3 x 3.9 inches. Of course it's scary and not the news that I wanted to hear, but I'm feeling pretty good about it and I'm thankful that it's not worse. Fibroid tumors are benign so I'm even more thankful for that.
My doctor knows all about my weight loss and she recommended that I wait to have the surgery until I'm a little closer to my goal weight. She didn't want me having surgery and then being out of commission during the recovery time and not being able to workout to get me off-track with my weight loss. Of course it's my decision and if I want to go ahead and have the surgery I can. She did say that I for sure need to do it at least 1 year before I want to have kids to allow my body time to heal. The problem with that is that I have no idea when that will be. It really depends on how soon I meet someone and get married, but when that does happen, because of my age I won't want to wait a long time.
So I have some decisions to make. Now that I know I have these and they are large (they said it's like I'm 17 weeks pregnant), part of me just wants to get them out of me and not have to think about it. But the other part of me thinks that the doctor is right and it would be smart to wait. I could also choose a better insurance plan starting in January and have a much lower deductible which would be wiser financially. I'm glad that although they need to come out, that the doctor doesn't think that it's urgent to do it.
At this point I'm not sure what is best. I'm just praying for wisdom and asking the Lord to guide me to what is best. I'm trying to stay positive and really focus on all I have to be thankful for. The fact that she found them now and that I can get them taken care of soon, instead of later on down the road when I'm trying to have kids is a huge blessing. I'm also so thankful that she found them. I had my annual checkup last year and they didn't find them even though they were there then. Also, once I get them take out my stomach will be flatter! :) Several of my friends recommended this doctor to me. She is great and so loving and caring. Monday was the first time I met her, but I already feel like I know her. It nice to have a doctor that really cares about me and that I can trust to do what is best.
My sister mentioned that if I do decide to wait, that it might be good to have a goal in mind and really push me to lose as much weight as possible and/or get to my goal weight by the time I have the surgery. If I wait, I will probably have it around the first of the year, but if I decide to go ahead and get them taken out, I will most likely do it as soon as possible.
The good news is that she said all my labs came back perfect! Everything they tested for is in the normal range, including things that were low or borderline last year. I'm so thankful that I'm getting healthy and making that a top priority in my life. Please focus on making your health a top priority and not just losing weight or looking good!
Thanks so much for all your love and prayers! <3